Monday, July 30, 2012

Project end in sight.


The end is in sight. No that does not meet I will not longer blog but it has been a while and one of the longest projects I have ever taken on. The next time a client wants to redo their space and doesn't have the ambition, the energy or the ability to make decisions, please remind me of what I just accomplished. I could not run the other way or say no to this person because, unfortunately in this case, I am the client.  Yes folks it’s me.  I get it. Starting a project and finishing a project are two different things.

 When I came up with the very cool design, I diagramed it to make sure it would fit.  My carpenter guru built the desk out of cabinet grade plywood for me. After that comes to the details. What I have discovered in a complete redo is the details.  The term “the devil is in the details” is true.  The details, the stuff that is stuck in my head that keep me from sleeping at night, interrupt my dinner when I think of something I want in there, the color of the lamp, the fabric on the curtains, cabinet pulls and drawer handles. It is enough to drive anyone crazy. I have a great respect for designers, not the ones who come up with an idea and tell you what to buy and hire someone to do it, but the one who take the time and have the skills to build the desk, paint it, make the curtains, and build extra drawers in the cabinet for extra storage.

 If you hire a designer, decorator or organizer who does not come in with their own tool box, do not hire them. I’m just saying. I will discuss my tool box on a different blog.  But I digress.

 Since I am working solo on this project I have had to “rely on the kindness of strangers” or just friends who have the tools and I can talk into helping me for the price of a beer.  For instance, my home was build in the 1980’s before the Internet so my cable hook up and the phone are on different walls. Of course since I have a “bundle” everything runs from the cable connection. Until now I have had to run a 12 ft. telephone cord from the phone plug to the router which is plugged into the cable. I am amazed at the new terminology that I have picked up such as fish tape, which is a spool of wire that has a hook like thing on the end. Pass is under carpet or behind something, attach the cord that you want to hide and it pulls wires underneath so they don’t cause a trip hazard.  Anyway enough technical stuff.

Befor- can you spot what kept?



After: the same wall.

My only obstacle to completely finishing the project is my own fear of making a mistake.



Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment