Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Definition of Clutter

Just catching up with some old chat messages, and found one I really can add to - an industry definition of clutter.

There are 3 definitions of clutter. The first one is "a crowded or confused mass or collection." The second is "a disorderly heap or assemblage; litter. A state or condition of confusion." (Random House Dictionary, 2011) The third and my favorite: "clutter is postponed decisions."

The key distinction about clutter included in all 3 definitions is that clutter involves confusion. No matter how over-full my space may be, if I have no confusion about it, it may be excess (that is, more than is usual, needed, desired, or specified) but it's not clutter.

So let's say that I have a big-enough closet, and I have 15 pairs of shoes. If they are all kicked into the back of the closet and covered with cast-off clothes, I may not have excess (15 pairs is on the lower side of average) but I definitely have clutter, "a confused mass."

Or say I have everything with a StarWars theme ever made, and it's causing friction with my spouse because, though it is orderly and completely catalogued and dusted and insured, it has taken over every room in the house. I have a collection (objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition, or as a hobby) and I have excess but no clutter (there is no mass or heap or confusion).

Note that clutter may be physical or mental.

The solution for excess is to let go of some or create more space. The solution for clutter is to end the confusion and replace it with order. Of course excess and clutter often go together.

No comments:

Post a Comment